Sunday, May 10, 2009

Day 70 – Best of the worst

Its been a crazy day taking my two boys out by myself and without a plan for food. We went to a park for the spring opening and then downtown to a spring fair. Great fun but the food was not nutritious as you can imagine.

It seems to be an ongoing problem that when I leave the house without my planned meal, it’s almost impossible to get what I need to stay on track or even have a basic level of nutritious food.

So what happens if you need to eat something nutritious but you forgot to set it up before and your away from home? I checked out this site and at least it gave the best of the worst when it comes to fast food.

Here are some tips from www.surfnetparents.com that I need to remember when I go out, especially with kids:

Some healthy food choices
Whether you are the parent of a young child or a teenager, providing them with options is important. If you show them some of the better foods to eat when they're eating out, they will be more comfortable choosing those. Here are some healthy fast food options:
•Grilled chicken or fish sandwich. Grilled chicken and fish can provide your body with the protein it needs, but not all the extra fat.

•Whole wheat rolls or bread is way better for your body. It contains less sugar than white bread does.

•Fruit and yogurt

•Drink milk or water. Soda has a ton of calories in it and has no nutritional value whatsoever, and most fruit juice drinks are high in sugar. 

•Consider a different side, like apples. If you have children, you know McDonald's is always going to be an option because it's so cheap. So instead of ordering large french fries with the meal, get something different for your side. Even McDonald's has a little nutrition. You can get apples instead of french fries and give your child a little bit of a healthier meal.
Teach proper portion sizes

Now that you have covered what is healthy and what is not so healthy with your child, it is important to teach them about portion sizes. Our portion sizes have become ridiculously big and as a result so have people. Teach your child to eat until they are comfortably full; not feeling sick to their stomach and ready to throw up. Teach them to eat smaller portions more often throughout the day so they're not trying to digest a huge meal in one sitting. If you can teach them this at home by showing them what proper portion sizes are, they will know when to stop if they're eating away from home.
So what can you do to ensure your child chooses nutrition away from home? You can education them about healthy eating and proper nutrition at home, so when they eat away form home they are better prepared to choose more nutritious foods and proper portion sizes.


While this is great info, I still need to be better prepared for all contingencies to ensure that my family and I are able to choose what we can eat rather than being forced into eating something that is unhealthy for us.

It was incredible how bloated and uneasy I felt after eating some pretty bad food. This is the second day this week that my diet has been shot and my body has instantly told me how bad it is for me.

See you soon.

2 comments:

Patrick said...

Lately when I've been in that situation I've just skipped meals until I can make it home, but it must be tough with kids. You gotta feed those little guys.

If anything, your frustration and dissatisfaction with having to eat fast food will translate in some way to them, and they'll get the message (perhaps subliminally) that eating fresh healthy food at home makes people happier.

When I was a kid I received exactly the opposite message. McDonald's and Chick-Fil-A was a treat that my whole family looked forward to. Eating at home was laaaame.

This sabotaged my wellness efforts for many years after.

Michael said...

I still get a spark of excitement when I see golden arches - we were brought up the same way. Now I tell my kids that when we eat fast food its only out of necessity and the food is really not very good for us - the are getting it and I want them to be better and healthier for the rest of their lives.