Thursday, May 21, 2009

Day 79 – Where Did the Fat Go?

My boys are really great about PCP – as much as they can they understand what it is and why I’m doing it. My wife and I encourage them to ask questions of anyone, regardless of their age and authority – this I believe sets them up to be able to function socially and effectively now and when they are older. So they ask all sorts of questions about what I do. Sometimes I have no answer for their questions(but we agree to look it up) and sometimes their very questions make me realize what I’m doing is not very good(“Dada, why do you like pop so much”).

So In making them comfortable enough to question everything and everyone respectfully, they have become an extended conscience for me and If I want to do right by them I better be able to give them the right answer by doing the right thing.

I am often amazed at how their sense of justice and fairness is as mature as I believe it is – perhaps a little parental pride, but If the future is to be better, if people are to become healthier, if the world is to become better – then teach your child to do what is right, confront ideas and articulate concerns. If they sit by idly while something wrong is happening then we are all worse off.

Its also funny how my eldest slaps my belly now and asks where did the fat go? I enjoy telling him where it went quite a bit.

See you soon.

1 comment:

Patrick said...

That's awesome man. Raising your kids well seems to be about the most important thing you could ever accomplish.