Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Day 87 – A four letter word for Hypothalamus

I was listening to an interview with a pharmacologist who was looking at the hypothalamus. The interview reminded me that along with other functions, the hypothalamus controls body temperature, hunger, thirst, fatigue, and circadian cycles.

This doctor wants to find ways of playing with the hypothalamus so that a person would not have to exercise, wouldn’t have to worry about what they ate or drank and so forth. This is what the learned do, this is what technology is all about but what will happen years from now when we realize that playing god with our bodies when we don’t really know that much relatively about them and that the things we are doing to them today is or can be harmful.

One thing the PCP has taught me is that in many cases, simpler is better exercise is good for you and 80% of getting in shape is what we eat. There are no short cuts and in a world where instant gratification is the norm, I need to work even harder to be in the best condition I can.

Just a few more days. Tomorrow I am doing my final physical tests and in the next few days I’ll post some pics of me and give you my final stats.

See you soon.

2 comments:

Patrick said...

I think a lot of people our age think in the back of their minds, "By the time I'm getting sick and old, they'll have some magic technology that will sort me out"

Your health seems like a risky thing to play the futures market on.

David said...

I'd like to think that medicine and science can sort out many of our late-life ailments, but there is so much we can be doing for our bodies now through diet and exercise.

Diet. I really despise how that word seems to imply something temporary, and I always scoff and infomercials for drugs like Trimspa and Cortisol.