Saturday, May 16, 2009

Day 76 - I'm not a caveman?

I often think how much better life would be if we lived in simpler times. No TVs, cell phones, email, 70 hour work weeks, deadlines, etc., etc. I believe we as humans are doing the best we can to cope with stresses but stresses that we did not evolve specifically to handle.

If I get stopped by a police officer, evolutionary behaviour kicks in and I want to either fight or flee. But something else happens before I punch the policeman in the mouth. I think about the consequences and do the right thing that society dictates fighting generations of evolution.

When it comes to our lifestyles, we are constantly bombarded with images and choices - most of which are bad – and more choice can actually be a problem to choosing the right thing for ourselves.

I guess what I’m trying to get at here is that if I was living one hundred years ago, or a million, there would likely be no need for the PCP. But I’m here today and so I'll just have to take all the good things we have with the bad.

What I really want to do is not let go of all the things that made life better for our ancestors, like more time with family, simpler eating and so forth so that my life is more basic and I can really enjoy the essence of things.

Things are going well. Tomorrow I am designating as my treat day and I am looking forward to it!

See you then.

1 comment:

Patrick said...

Yeah dude, people often see it as an either/or. You live close to nature and eat natural stuff, or you're an urban dwelling junk food eating TV/computer chained half-robot.

The truth is that we can enjoy the fruits of technology, entertainment, comfort, medical advances while still keeping a connection to the wisdom of the past regarding how much exercise and what kind of food will support our bodies rather than breaking them down.

Finding this balance is the challenge of modern man, and I feel like we're doing pretty well here on the PCP!