Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Day 72 - French Fit

I love France. I love the food, the culture, the people, even when they seem a little rude, I love that about them.

So I was a little intrigued when I saw this OECD report on cultural and social trends. What the article boils down to is that the French spend more time sleeping than all other researched countries and also devote more time to eating.

Time Spent Sleeping


Time Spent Eating


This may be an indication of why France is known for having one of the lowest rates of obesity in developed countries(10% obesity).

According to the report, the French spend on average nearly 9 hours a day in bed and more than 2 hours a day eating and drinking — nearly twice as much time at the table as Americans, Canadians or Mexicans.

But there are certainly inconsistencies: Americans, with one of the highest rates of obesity, get almost as much sleep as the French; Koreans and Japanese, with less obesity, are at the lower end of the sleep scale.
So although obesity may well be a “symptom” of a society that does not take enough time to eat and sleep - the relationship is unlikely to be that straightforward.

I do know that when I eat great food more slowly and get more sleep, I feel better and I’m overall healthier.

My abs are killing me today. Did the exercises to complete failure and now feel the aftermath!

See you soon!

1 comment:

Patrick said...

Yeah, go failure!

I think it might all come down to portion sizes. From my time in these countries, I found the French portions to be a very human oriented size, and the Japanese and Korean to be even smaller than that. We all know what a portion looks like in the US.

It's not as sexy as red wine and "slow food", but it's probably something as simple as eating fewer calories and walking more.