Friday, April 10, 2009

Day 40 – Sick Again

There’s a cold going around and I thought I could head fake it out but I’ve now got it. I wanted to skip today’s workout but I managed to get through it relatively unscathed. I did feel extremely tired and winded during and after but I also felt better for it too.

I’ve read that as long as you don’t have a fever there are benefits to working out and may even make the cold go away more quickly.

I know from the workout today that I got a good endorphin buzz from the pump and cardio but I remember reading that a workout also increases the white cell blood count helping fight off colds. It may be that I pushed myself a little hard after being sick last week but usually I don’t get sick and attribute that to generally being healthy and active.

According to research done by the American College of Sports Medicine, people that exercise in general tend to catch fewer colds than more sedentary counterparts and if done regularly, exercise could halve the number of days you spend with cold symptoms.

I already feel the tide turning on this cold and hopefully in a few days I’ll be 100% again. I’m going to stay hydrated and keep my workouts intense but won’t overdo it.

See you tomorrow

2 comments:

Patrick said...

Yes, I've found that nothing, yoga, training, or meditation keeps anyone from catching colds, but people who do these things tend to get over them faster and don't experience complications.

This could as simple as all of the above activities reduce stress. Lower stress means a more robust immune system.

Tanya said...

Hope you get better soon!