Friday, April 24, 2009

Day 54 – Lookin’ Good

At the conference I’m at I just saw an old colleague of mine. I hadn’t seen her in a couple of years and the first thing she said to me was that I looked good. Normally I would thank her and move on to smaller or larger conversation but instead I asked her, perhaps bluntly, what made me look good. She stepped backed looked me up and down and said that I was thinner throughout my body though I still looked healthy.

I then proceeded to tell her about the PCP diet and program. She was polite but countered with saying that she had tried diets like this too but they never worked. I stopped right there and changed the conversation, I probably could have gone on and tried to convince her of the beauty of PCP but instead we talked about world politics and religion.

The reason I stopped was because I didn’t have the time or energy to reprogram her through cognitive behavioral therapy and I saw in her like I have seen in so many, self fulfilling prophecies. I’ll always tell people about the PCP and answer all the questions they have but when I realize that they don’t believe in themselves (without them realizing they don’t believe in themselves) I’ll usually turn it off.

To be certain there are a lot of bad diets out their and equally bad workout programs but the single biggest reason that people fail is because they fail themselves and believe it is the program’s fault. I’ve talked about this before but I’m still intrigued when I see self fulfilling prophesies right before my eyes, because just like luck, fate, karma, the outcome of future events is way more controllable through our beliefs and attitudes than we will probably ever realize.

This week I fell into some bad self-talk which got me into some trouble. Things like “It’s only one(more) drink” or “I’ll do some extra ropejumps and pushups tomorrow.” Great sentiments but they often don’t mean anything, I’m just trying to convince the angel on my right shoulder that it’s a-okay. I love situations like this where I am out of control of my environment as compared to home, because it gives me a chance to reprogram some negative behavior. Its hard but in the end I need to be stronger for it.

See you tomorrow.

1 comment:

Patrick said...

Yes, the ability to change really has nothing to do with what you do, but how you think. I think it's Tony Robbins who says the hardest thing is to change your mind, but once you've made the switch to "I'm a fit, healthy person" you have already become that, even if that person is still under a few layers of fat.

Jumpropes, push-ups and eating well are just manifestations of the new person you already are.

Keep it up man!