Friday, April 10, 2009

Day 41 – Good Friday

My Parents are staunch Catholics and brought me up to be one too, but something happened on the way to growing up and I’m a little more liberal and eclectic in my views than I think they wanted. Nevertheless I value all viewpoints on any subject and believe someone’s viewpoint is as valid as any other, within reason and as long as it helps and doesn’t hurt.

So today being Good Friday I decided to partake in the Catholic tradition of eating no meat, only fish and went to the store to pick up some salmon for dinner. Unfortunately a bunch of other people had the same idea and only a lone package of out of date sardines were left, seriously just those sardines. Who knew it would be like this, so I wearily opted for a packaged frozen salmon that stated “no preservatives” and “no additives” and headed home. On my way home I passed a McDonalds and had a sudden urge for a Big Mac. I didn’t do it mind you but it reminds me of something that happened to me long ago:

During my first year of university I was trying out for the football team(not soccer) and was trying to bulk up my weight. I was eating lots of everything especially protein in the form of red meat. I was young and ate a lot more than I can now and it was hard increasing my weight. On Easter weekend I went to my Parents for their traditional dinner where they take it one step further and eat precisely no meat of any kind and have a sort of fasting meal. I tucked in and was finished before I knew it but was still hungry. Upon leaving I promptly headed straight for the Burger King and with more guilt than I could have acknowledge back then, had a double Whopper with everything on it. What happened next was both mortifying and kind of cool. As I left, my Dad was just parking his car to go into the drug store and our eyes locked. I think he smiled slightly, raised his hand and walked into his store, never saying a word. I know he didn’t tell my Mother(she would have laid into me hard) and he hasn’t said a word about it to me in almost twenty years. I gotta believe that if I secretly send him a Whopper on Good Friday one of these years, without my Mother knowing of course, he’ll really appreciate it.

By the way, the salmon was great and at least this year I’m still in my Mother’s good books.

See you tomorrow.

3 comments:

Patrick said...

heh, heh, I guess your secret's out now! Did you make the football team?

Michael said...

Made the team and had the best and worst time of my life. Varsity sports as you likely know are very competitive and coaches push you at times beyond your physical and sometimes ethical limits but I learned alot and wouldn't trade it for anything.

Tanya said...

ah the big mac is always a temptation for me! I haven't been eating meat that much since PCP has started so this Good Friday was the easiest one ever. :-)

How was the salmon anyways?