Sunday, March 29, 2009

Day 28 –Day Flew By

Today was a whirlwind of meetings and work. I was out most of the day and when I was at home, I was doing work in my office. Not a great way to spend a Saturday but I’ll be ready for next week.

I was discussing with a friend of mine the implications of professional athletes taking performance-enhancing drugs and he felt it was okay for athletes to do so. I asked him two things: 1) If you had children that looked up to athletes and these athletes took steroids or other harmful drugs, how would that change your viewpoint? And 2) What if every professional hockey player (he’s a big hockey fan) took drugs to make themselves better would you idolize them the way you do today? And just for good measure I suggested that Pro Athletes are admired, loved and idolized by very young people and so there is a higher price they must pay to honour them – they are no longer the anyone they are now more responsible for their actions and much like a parent must do things appropriate and expect those that look up to them to follow in their footsteps.

He just called me up and conceded my points. I told him I wasn’t trying to win the argument but he said I was right nonetheless. Maybe there is hope for those bloodthirsty fans and for the future heroes of sports.

I had lunch out at a meeting today and when I asked for 140 grams of meat and 180 grams of vegetables everyone looked at me like I had a third eye. Not a problem – the server was great, the chef did all the right things and I felt great not having to compromise for the lunch meeting.

See you tomorrow.

No comments: