Friday, March 6, 2009

Day 6 – Farmers Market

My family and I go to our local farmers market weekly to buy fresh produce, free range meats and try to get foods that are in season, diversifying our diets. We love it, the local farmers market is opened all year round and while some foods are shipped in because of our short growing season, you will not find elaborately processed products or much aging food from far away. Today I also looked into a local company that delivers a weekly vegetable box. I really like this idea because it forces us out of our comfort zone with eating typical produce and we’ll find fruits and vegetables in the weekly box that we would never buy on our own.



Aside from the environmental and biological implications of buying through the local market or a weekly vegetable box, the food is just plain better for us. I’ve found that most merchants at the market have signs indicating how they or their supplier deal with pests and fertility and if they don’t display a comment, they will be happy to inform you. They make it a point to know how their foods, livestock are grown/raised. Now try asking the same thing of your local supermarket grocer, I’m willing to bet they’ll fumble for any kind of answer.

It would be great If we could plant a garden to provide ourselves with many of the foods we love, but unfortunately in our climate here in Canada we can’t do it all. That’s not to say we can’t do anything, I’m planning a little experiment with tomatoes and carrots this year and hoping to make a delicacy that my family will enjoy. For me it really means getting back to the basics of eating.

So what about my PCP Training. My abs are sore, but I’m keeping up the pace on crunches and leg raises. I’m also doing a front bridge where I balance on my elbows, keeping my body straight and elevated off the ground. This one is hard but I managed to hold it for a full minute today. I also did 53 pushup today in a row! I recently found the site one hundred pushups which challenges you to do: you guessed it, 100 pushups. I love a challenge and today promised myself that by the end of the Peak Condition Project, thats less than 90 days, I will do 100 pushups at one time. There is a sister site of 200 situps but I’m just going to promise the pushups. Legs are also sore from the lunges and squats but it’s a good, even great kind of pain. As I mentioned yesterday, my skipping is doing well and I’m feeling more like Rocky Balboa every day.

I think I ate a little too much today but I was really hungry especially after my workout. Tomorrow I will stick to plan and focus on eat just the good stuff.

See you tomorrow.

2 comments:

Tanya said...

Wow, 53 push ups in a row. Thats amazing!!! I just struggle with the regular dosage for PCP...lol.

ah I wish I could go to a local farmers market and know what I am buying and communicate to the people there. Your very lucky!!

In Japan, buying healthy food like skim milk, whole grained breads etc is too difficult or too expensive if u can find it. That is definitely one of the things I miss about Australia.

laters

Patrick said...

Ha ha Michael you sure are keen.

You won't be looking for extra exercises in a few weeks! I like your spirit though.