Sunday, March 8, 2009

Day 8 – PCP Diet

It’s been a week now but today was really the start of what I was expecting the Peak Condition Project would be. I started my day doing my exercise program which has been ramped up to overall include pull-ups, curls, davinci raises, rowing, standing ovation, triceps dips, shoulder raises plus what I have already been doing, lunges, squats, push-ups, leg-ups and crunches - plus of course my ropejumps. It was a lot of exercise to get through but was very interesting and a great change from last week.

The major modification now is my diet. No more 50% of the food diet I used to eat, now its full on PCP and good foods. I began my meals today with a breakfast of carrots, celery, oatmeal, a small glass of milk and some eggs. I truely enjoyed this meal best but can see that it will get mundane if I don’t mix it up on occasion or more regularly. For a snack I had a banana. I had a late lunch of carrots/celery, with some salmon and finished off with oatmeal. My afternoon snack was a nectarine – delicious! For dinner I had mushrooms, oatmeal, with salmon and a coffee. I had a late snack of a nectarine plus a small glass of milk.

All together I was pleased with myself and enjoyed the process of cooking and eating the food. Everything I ate today was as close to natural and unprocessed as possible. Where I could it was wild or organic and I kept thinking back to what Michael Pollan said in his book In Defence of Food: Don't eat anything that your great-grandmother wouldn't recognize as food. I can safely say that my grandmother or great-grandmother would recognize everything I ate today.

I did have some cravings while in the supermarket and wondered several times how big the processed food industry is. I also thought about what kind of processed foods I have eaten all my life with a bit of a shudder. The chocolate brownies called my name several times and when my wife caught me eyeing them, she read the ingredients and said they weren’t to bad for me. I cursed her a thousand times, knowing that while I wanted them, I wouldn’t break, even with her seductive charm.

So there you have it. One more down, many more to come. I’m a bit worried about tomorrow. I’m flying on business (back tomorrow night) but will pack the necessary foods and try not to seem rude when someone offers me a chocolate/strawberry Danish.

I also took measurements of myself and will do so each week. I didn’t expect much of a change this week but look forward to charting my progress in the weeks ahead:

Critical Measurements:
BMI: 27.1
Fat Percentage: 17.9
Height: 160cm
Weight: 101kgs
Arm: 36cm
Chest: 108cm
Waist: 101cm
Hips: 100cm
Thigh: 61cm
Resting Heart Rate: 61 bpm

See you tomorrow.

2 comments:

Tanya said...

I am glad it went so well for you and you enjoyed your day! Let's share any recipes we stumble upon so we don't go crazy down the track.

I have a wedding to go to this wknd and I am spending two days away....I am mentally starting to prepare myself. Next week is the end of our school year and we have a graduation on Thurs and a grad dinner on Sat. I also have two birthday dinners after that...ahhh

Do you have big events coming up where its going to mess with your schedule?

Anonymous said...

Hi Michael! I've been watching the PCPers since Patrick's first ever PCP, and all of them have been real cool. I look forward to your project.

I liked your post about sodium intake and pizza - sometimes I get caught in thinking pizza is only bad because of fats and carbs, but yes, I now have to admit that ridiculous sodium too.

Good luck, I'll probably check in now that I know this new Evergreen round is up :)