Saturday, March 7, 2009

Day 7 - Who Watches...


You’ve probably heard of the new movie Watchmen that is in theatres right now. Here's the synopsis of the movie:

Watchmen is set in an alternate 1985 America in which costumed superheroes are part of the fabric of everyday society. When one of his former colleagues is murdered, the outlawed but no less determined masked vigilante Rorschach sets out to uncover a plot to kill and discredit all past and present superheroes. As he reconnects with his former crime-fighting legion--a disbanded group of retired superheroes, only one of whom has true powers--Rorschach glimpses a wide-ranging and disturbing conspiracy with links to their shared past and catastrophic consequences for the future. Their mission is to watch over humanity...but who is watching the Watchmen?

The graphic novel that the movie is based on came out in the mid-eighties and is one of the first serious comics I bought as a boy. The themes of the story have always intrigued me and without giving away the plot, motivation to change is a central theme played out on many levels in the story line. What makes it a great novel is that it was one of the first comics to challenge the dogmatic superhero themes and it evoked thoughts and questions from the reader never before realized. Who knows if the movie will be any good, I’ll certainly go see it but what intrigues me most about this and similar stories is what motivates the people within. Its really the tension of overcoming some type of delema that makes a story compelling and the same goes for us in the real world. What motivates us to change, to decide to do something, make our lives better, change bad habits or realize our dreams.

So with the subject of motivated change I wonder why so many people fail at their diets, why the diet industry is so huge(people are gluttons for punishment) and why so many live in that vast wasteland of mediocrity?

For me the catalyst to join the PCP was initially my friend Ian who had just spent a lot of time and money getting his Masters Education degree and said to me that he had worked so hard to get his education and mind in order, why wouldn’t he now do the same with his body. His words resonated with me and as always I reminded myself that this was it, my one and only life and I had better get what I want out of it. Then I looked at my beautiful wife and wonderful boys and thought they deserved the best all around dad as well. So here I am going for my peak condition and highly motivated to get there. It also didn't hurt that Patrick is an enthusiastic and engaging leader and the principles of the Peak Condition Project are simple, easy to follow and relatively inexpensive. But let me leave you with one last thought on motivation that ties into Watchmen and the Peak Condition Project. If you knew the world was going to end, but by making it better in some basic but difficult ways, you could save it(or at least prolong it) - What would you do?

Tomorrow we start the Peak Condition Project diet proper and I am preparing myself for the experience of buying, cooking, eating and enjoying it. I’ll let you know how it is.

See you tomorrow.

No comments: