Monday, March 30, 2009

Day 30 – Enlighten Up!



Always looking for a good film, I saw a trailer from the independent documentary Enlighten Up! By filmmaker Kate Churchill. She insists that yoga can transform anyone and decides to prove it. She selects 29 year-old journalist, Nick Rosen as her subject and immerses him in yoga, following him until he finds a yoga practice that transforms him. Sounds like a great subject and interesting to anyone who wants to become a better, more enlightened person.

One of the clips I saw shows a Guruji who explains that it took him 6 years to gain health saying “When health was not there, what can I think of philosophy?” He goes on to state that yoga is a subjective way of eradicating the instinctive weaknesses of human being. He asserts that change has to take place, transformation has to take place for whoever it may be.

While I have always held a fascination for yoga, I have never once practiced it, nor can I claim any wisdom about it. However, the words of this guru ring so true and remind me so much of what I’m doing now with the Peak Condition Project, that I will at least look into it more closely.

As far as the movie goes, there are so many parallels between it and the peak condition project but on a more physical level. A person like myself or any one of the many PCPers are looking for transformation, to be in the peak condition of their lives and to be a better, more healthy, confident and long lasting person. But I am starting to understand that being in good shape is the first not the last step in personal fulfillment for me, a stepping stone on a long path of stones to true happiness.

I look forward to this film and wonder what a PCP documentary will look like – I think it would be very interesting indeed.

See you tomorrow.

3 comments:

Tanya said...

wow I can't wait to watch this. Looks really interesting. Yes, I agree being in good shape is the first step. I am already planning what steps to take after PCP in my personal fulfillment.

Patrick said...

Someone else sent me a link to this movie and I really hate it. It's representative of everything wrong with Western concepts of yoga, that by doing this weird exotic east-indian thing you can somehow "change your life", become "spiritual", or "find yourself".

Yoga is just a system for fully utilizing your body, it has great value but when we glom on to it as an answer for bigger problems it just becomes another hindrance.

You don't need to do any special contortion or go to India to find yourself. As a professional yoga teacher at the top of my field I say screw this crappy movie.

The PCP movie is happening right now, in slow motion on your blogs.

Patrick said...

I heard these two people from the documentary on NPR and they said that in retrospect they had missed a great deal of the point of yoga through endlessly trying to be changed by it.

Wish they had talked to me first!